Thursday 12 March 2015

Tonight’s practice night ‘fracas’ - what are we now gentlemen, Top Gear presenters?!


I was always under the impression that Wallingford Comrades Club was a 'Gentleman's Club', well tonight people, that impression & belief was sullied.



As it was a 'night off' from matches with the League fixtures having been completed 2 weeks ago, but with the A & B Teams still to play in the Jim Taylor Semi Finals next week, it was an ideal opportunity to have a few friendly frames between all the Teams to maintain match sharpness.



As such & as Club Rep, I took it upon myself to make arrangements for this, despite the fact that I wouldn't even be there!  I spoke with all the Captains to gauge the interest & was told that 5 players from the A Team, 4 from the B Team & 5/6 from the C Team would be in attendance for an A v B v C knockabout.  As neither Andy (who sadly had to attend a funeral in Norfolk), nor myself (I was working a late shift) would be there, I sent texts round to all the attendees, or their Captains to confirm numbers so that Oz could put on some of his nice supper for you all to make it a bit of a social evening.  Only a few people had the courtesy to text me back & none of those declined food, so I arranged with Oz to cater for 15 players.



To find (well, to be sent a text whilst I'm at work!) that only about 7 players actually turned up is a pretty poor show gents.  And to have to attend the Club (while I was working!) & apologise to Oz for his wasted efforts in cooking for you all was very embarrassing & disappointing.  As you all should appreciate, Oz & Lucy & their staff do a tremendous amount of good work for the benefit of the Snooker Players.  For Oz to spend time cooking a nice curry for you all & still be willing to only charge 'match night rates' & then for this to happen is just very rude.



To also find that one of the members had a 'tantrums & tiara' moment was the straw that broke the camel's back & made this Blog entry necessary.  Now, I know that we have ALL had moments which we are not proud of & ALL had days that we would rather not have had, but surely a friendly knockabout should be just that?!  If you lose, shake hands, buy them a drink (curse under your breath!) & play better/harder in the next frame!  I know that the game itself can be frustrating & we all play the game to be competitive, but surely the primary reason is because we enjoy it?!  To throw a tantrum & storm off, without even explaining or apologising to Oz or Lucy, then I'm sorry, but that is just unacceptable behaviour.



If you don't want food, then at least have the decency to reply to a text.  If you don't want to practice, then at least have the courtesy to let someone know.  Captains, Club Rep, Event Organiser, D&DS&BL Committee member, D&DS&BL Comp Secretary; the people who do all these tasks do it on a voluntary basis... FOR YOUR BENEFIT!!!  I know how much time & effort I commit to snooker, but it's at times like this that I sometimes wonder why I bloody bother!  And yes, this post is being written at 02.30 after a full shift at work!



PS. Any explanations, apologies or genuine reasons for any of this will be gladly accepted.  You all know my number & you all certainly know where Oz & Lucy are!

No comments:

Post a Comment